PART 1: IP ISSUES CURRENTLY PENDING BEFORE THE SUPREME COURT
In the first part of our series, we briefly summarize the intellectual property issues that the Supreme Court has already agreed to address in 2020. In particular, we provide a brief overview and key takeaways for the Supreme Court’s consideration of:
- Whether adding “.com” to a generic mark creates a protectable trademark;
- The scope of appeals from IPR proceedings;
- The ability to copyright software interfaces;
- Requirements for recovering an infringer’s profits in trademark cases;
- State sovereign immunity from copyright infringement claims; and
- Copyright protection for state law annotations.